We are looking for a junior realtime vfx artist to grow our team and work with us part-time on-site and off-site as you prefer. Our studio has a long history in realtime vfx production and we want to expand our rt vfx team a little.
You will be creating visual effects for various game titles, from first-person to top-down, from abstract to realism.
- Develop particle effects for objects ranging from natural effects to weapon fire, highlighting elements, glows, sparkles, explosions and UI effects
- Understand the art direction for the game, follow it and generally respect communicated vfx art conventions. Under some circumstances, you may be involved in establishing a vfx art style yourself with the support of your team.
- Translate game design specifications into effects, respecting the existing art direction and/or conventions we lay out within the team.
- Communicate with other team members and client team members to establish effective pipeline and integrate your created assets
- Optimize effect performance for various device / platforms (particle count, draw calls etc.)
- Help to identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to address and mitigate these problems
You should have a good understanding of game development in general and understand the role of a VFX artist in a game.
You should be able to provide example work that relates to the tasks (for example effects and effect related shaders) given above. If we get into discussion, you should be able to describe how you approached these tasks and what tools you used.
You should know a subset of the tools we use in the game dev. scene (e.g. 3D Engines like Unity3D, Unreal Engine and content creation tools like Adobe Creative Suite, SideFX Houdini, Blender, Substance Designer and such).
We do not require you to have working experience in all those tool but we expect a vital interest in learning new tools, and, this is important, actively exploring new ways of solving tasks. We support you in your desire to become a better vfx / technical artist by all means possible to us. Meaning, we actively encourage asking questions. We facilitate an open communication. You are expected to share your findings, insights and knowledge with the team, to help everybody to grow along the way.
What we offer:
We offer a flexible way for you to participate in real projects to build your track record.
Even though we are working mainly in technical art and visual effects production, the work is very diverse and you may be asked to contribute to our labs products.
Our office is located in Bremen, Germany but partly off-site/remote work is possible.